[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Rear hubs with built-in outboard toe-in TEST

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 00:26:24

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Rear hubs with built-in outboard toe-in TEST
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 22:23:34 

All,

I've been very fortunate to have the opportunity to test some new prototype aluminum rear hubs. They have two degree's of built-in toe in which allowed me to mount the rear arms without any shims in between them and the bulkhead. The end result provided a much easier time of mounting the arms without having to work so hard to free up any binding due to the previous pin angle. That is actually the worst of the news! The good news is that they make a definite difference on the track :!:

Before testing at the track, I installed the new hubs and performed a cornering simulation test on my trusty HUDY setup board. :wink: A few of us discussed this on a previous thread: http://www.teamxray.com/xforum/viewtopi ... c&start=20. The setup board testing method I used is very similar to what I've done in the past while testing front in-board toe out and can be found at the following thread: http://www.teamxray.com/xforum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

On the setup board the results clearly show that the camber change is more stable for each rear tire during suspension compression and rebound as the car rolls toward and away from the tire. The camber gain on the inner tire is actually lessened pretty significantly. Now I know most of you are thinking like I did at first, "this doesn't mean squat since the inner rear tire is providing very little grip during cornering anyway." But the truth is that the inner rear tire provides significant traction through its narrow contact patch on the inner edge of the tire. The lightly loaded small sliver of contact patch from the inner wheel acts like a guide in the corner, provides stability and can be used to fine tune the steering characteristics of the rear end. Try reducing your rear droop and 95% of the time when the inner rear wheel rises off the track in the corner your car will do a very nice but sometimes damaging 180 degree pirouette. :shock:

On the track and with a decent setup, it would take a better than average driver to notice the rear end is much more stable throughout the entire corner. I'm certainly not an expert, but I was able to notice a difference. Before using the new hubs, with my very stiff rear spring setting, I was never able to run harder than 30mm 30 shore rear tires, or less than 2.5d rear toe in, due to infrequent & abrupt losses of traction in the rear end. During this test I was able to confirm the added stability in the rear end by running a pair of 35 shore rear tires and using only 2d of outboard rear toe in built into the new hubs. Through ten complete packs, and switching between a stock motor and a 19 turn motor, the rear end was dialed throughout the entire track. I had to further unload the rear tires by increasing my rear ride height by .5mm to provide enough steering for the higher cornering speeds of the 19 turn and still no loss of rear traction. For laughs :lol: I even mounted my top heavy HUDY H2 body ( http://www.geocities.com/acquaba/RC/Bod ... r_Rear.jpg , http://www.geocities.com/acquaba/RC/Bod ... _Front.jpg ) and the rear end remained dialed without any abrupt changes in grip. BTW, the more stiff the rear end, the better the overall steering. This setup allows me to get on the gas much earlier in the corner and maximize the use of the one-way to pull the car out of the corners while accelerating hard.

In conclusion, the rear end is noticeably smoother using the new hubs with more predictable steering in high speed corners and no loss of traction when making large mid corner steering corrections.

I plan on testing the 1.0d & 1.5d hubs next week to see if the car continues to steer well and provide a stable rear end. If this works and I'm able to reduce the rear toe in more, I should be able to increase the acceleration out of corners and top speed down the straight.

My latest setup can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/acquaba/RC/Xra ... _Setup.jpg

Pics of the latest Nemesis body I'm running (Purple-red-yellow-Nemesis... file names) and all other bodies I've made in the past can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/acquaba/RC/Bodies

Last edited by teamgp on Tue Sep 06, 2005 14:46:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 01:59:40 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 02:20:07 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 04:04:07 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 04:53:03 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 06:45:44 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 07:48:22 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 08:31:57 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:04:11 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 15:07:48 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 21:47:43 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 01:47:26 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 15:43:38 

Last edited by teamgp on Tue Jan 10, 2006 21:26:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 16:36:21 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 20:01:23 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 23:24:34 

UnderDaHill:

Hey:

Since I last posted I have made some changes to the rear arms of both my Xrays. on the 05 I have switched to ball studs for lower shock mounts. I has to grind into the rear arm some more to do this but I don't have any shock binding issues. I am using the black Assoc ball studs witht he drive hex in the head. and clearance problems are gone completely. I also am running the alumium hubs again (changed them out during testing) along with Assoc spring perches. also went to the smaller ball cups. as they are the right length and are harder to pop off.
I'm running the stock hex drive hubs also but I run a .040 spacer behind each rim
what make of foams do you run????
anyway we are going out again this weekend for more testing I'll post that we find and what we changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 18:40:25