[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - T4 potential new owner....

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 14:14:51

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: T4 potential new owner....
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 13:25:45 

Ok, so I have narrowed my choice down to a few cars now and I am looking at possibly getting a t4.

What would people on this forum say to their reasons why I should race with one?

I race 13.5 blinky on foams, on carpet (high bite).

I will be getting a front diff for the t4 too (should I decide to get one), as the spool isn't the best up front for our club when I see the majority of our A finalists race.

I have been into r/c for 15 years or so and come to the point where my existing car is 4 seasons old and worn out. (Tamiya trf415msxx).

I like the quality of the parts in xray cars and they appear to be very durable (our track uses wooden track markers which can be very unforgiving).

As many know, replacing your car is something that takes a great deal of consideration before biting the bullet so to speak, so this is a place for xray owners to prove what they like about their T4 :D

Thoughts please :)

Post subject: Re: T4 potential new owner....
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 16:59:39 
team driver

As you said the quality of XRAY parts is superior and it will hold up better in crashes compared to cars of the competition. We have an excellent forum and set-up sheet database here as you can see, with plenty of help to get in terms of set-up and so on.

It also helps if your fellow track mates are using the same car, so that you can share the set-up information, and spare parts supply.

If you are racing with foam tires on carpet I would definitely recommend a front diff as that's what most team drivers ran in the past.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 17:27:46 

Thank you for the info! :)

Can anyone advise me of the part number for a front differential please?

I think it's 304900 which fits the T4, yes?

I'm very close to deciding that the T4 is for me! I am pretty much sold on one but thought to ask x-ray drivers of their opinions also.

One question about the Lipo mountings that are supplied with the car, I currently have a turnigy 5200 2s lipo, will this fit in ok without buying any other parts?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/ca ... 2P-40H.jpg

Again, same question concerning the Futaba s9550 low profile servo. (It is near, or identical in size to the s9551 I understand).

Are there any build tips T4 owners can pre-warn me of that may need close attention?

I am particually interested in any setup tips also for the car particually for high traction carpet so the car can be dialled in well from the start, I typically use 50 shore foams.

I am assuming it is best to build up using the kit settings and go from there - but naturally being a racer I am interested what changes will be best suited to my local track!

it is a 10x15 metre carpet track (very small, so good rotation through the corners is essential, hence the front differential is used, yet keeping up corner speed due to using 13.5 blinky).

Does the kit come with gear oil also?

Many thanks once again!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 23:09:08 

battery will fit fine and as for the build do it EXACTLY as the instructions say.

a few people haven't followed the instructions properly and have had small problems with the drive train

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:35:08 

Thanks for that :)

Are there any setups available for the T4 that people use with a front differential and foam tyres on a small carpet track?

Just curious to see what changes people make when using the car with such tyres.

Last edited by sonic2 on Thu May 30, 2013 12:51:39, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:48:10 

So, my mind is 99.9% made up on the purchase of a brand new T4, but I need some part numbers for the front differential for it as I understand the car comes with a spool when new.

I definately want to fit the front differential when I am building the car from new.

I understand from this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13244 that I need the differential assembly #304900 and possibly some driveshaft caps #305241 is this correct?

Or does the differential come with the driveshaft caps? (unlikely but thought to ask).

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 22:41:10 
team driver

No, the driveshaft caps aren't included in the gear differential package (304900), so you need to purchase them in addition to the diff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 16:54:19 

Thank you for the info, i'll make sure I get some :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 13:59:04 

Two more questions :)

1) For high/very high grip carpet tracks, what strength would you suggest as a starting point for gear oil front and rear please? (foam tyres).

Our track is 10 metre x 15 metre and can be quite technical, due to space constraints but there are also smoother, flowing tracks also on the calender.

Obviously, I would like to find an optimum oil and not change this feature often and use the suspension and toe to change the steering more than the differentials.

I do appreciate that not many people race foam indoors any more but a rough guidance would be useful, as I have never run any gear diff in 17+ years of racing.

2) does the t4 come with a spur gear? if so, which one?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 06:13:55 

In the T4 is included 305784 Composite Spur Gear 84T / 48 - Hard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 09:46:48 

Many thanks, very useful to know! :)