[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - How to best handle grip changing over a day?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 14:22:25

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: How to best handle grip changing over a day?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 05:13:22 

Hello,

I just got my T4 and started running it, ran it at 2 occations so far and I like it.

In Shanghai we have 2 tracks, one indoor asphalt and one large outdoot asphalt. In the winter we run indoo mostly however it is the same temperature as outside.. This makes the track grip very inconsistent, when there is many racers there it is really good grip but yesterday when I came there where no one there and the track had been closed for a week due to Chinese new year. The car where very loose and hard to drive but the feeling was that the chassie only need some soften up and I would find the grip I need. So my question is, what is the best way of changing the chassie stiffness?

I know some of the screws in the top deck can be removed, is there also screws under the car that can be removed like in the T2 (what the set-up book says)? Is there other simple changes I can make in order to follow the track grip changes?

Also during a race day the grip can change much, from slippery in the morning to really good grip mid day and back to slippery after sunset so during a day one need to work with the car pretty much and some simple tuning options is great to have.

/Martin

Post subject: Re: How to best handle grip changing over a day?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 18:47:01 

My favoured options for affecting stiffness s are roll bars and inclining/declining the shock absorbers via the top mounting point.

On my T’008 and T ‘009 I also used the chassis and top deck screws but I get the impression that with the T3 series (no idea about the T4) this option sort of disappeared; I could be wrong but I got the idea from the documentation the screws are in all the time – i.e. kit settings had them all in.

As for changing conditions at your track, one thing I would say is that often there is a case for not chasing the grip; you can end up chasing your own tail! This applies especially in the morning –when you get there, there may have been overnight dew dampening the track. Do you start mucking around with your setup or decide that by 2nd qualie the grip level should be back to normal?(assuming that is your regular track).

Was there a lot of rain in the previous days that will have washed the track? These are things I think you need to consider before pulling the car apart to try and find that missing grip in practice or 1st qualie.

Of course if your track regulalry changes griplater in the afternoon then it makes sense to make a change in advance.It is not so easy in the UK as we have very changeable weather conditions.

And sometimes it is just plain stupid. Last year I was racing at a track I had not visited since the days of brushed 19T and NiMhs. By Saturday afternoon practice I had the car running really well. On Sunday morning in 1st qualie no grip at all(for me) and it stayed that way all day! And yes I was changing setup all the time!