[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Help! T3R Driveshaft Problem

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 00:25:10

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Help! T3R Driveshaft Problem
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 05:57:25 

Hi All,

I am relatively new to this and i recently purchased a T3R about 4 months ago. I built the car as per the instructions provided religiously.

Problem is after the build i noticed that there is excessive vibration on the front wheels at the limit of each direction of turn.

I reduced the EPA setting on the car and found that the vibration reduced.

But last week my front left drive shaft broke at the drive axle.

I proceeded to get a replacement drive shaft and continued running it with a reduced EPA setting.

Unfortunately yesterday the right drive shaft broke at the exact same location.

Have any of you guys experienced this before? I am wondering if i am doing anything wrong?

It would be good if any of you guys could point out what i am doing wrong or should check.

Post subject: Re: Help! T3R Driveshaft Problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 13:01:38 

Hello,

first off, these vibrations are normal at a certain steering angle with a solid axle and standard shafts. Those vibrations don't matter and will go after some time as the T3R (and also the T3'12) features composite outdrives that - when slightly worn - help to decrease those vibrations a lot. Of course that's not the perfect way as this would be no play and ECS shafts but compsite outdrives with some play in combination with the standard shafts work well as well.
The problem that causes the shafts of your car to break is related to the EPA. When using the stock T3R shafts (which are not hard-coated ... the hard-coated alu shafts feature the same bigger diameter) have a bigger diameter than the steel shafts and so you don't have to adjust the maximum steering angle in the common way of checking the gap between steering block and C-hub but you have to check the angle between the alu shaft and the steel wheel axle. Otherwise the steel wheel axles grind/bind on the alu shafts and these forces break them after some time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 17:32:02 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 22:39:15 

As I understand it on page 17 of the manual it says these problems are solved when using ECS driveshafts.
So it seems this is a part that has to be bought extra because it is not in the kit.

An additional thing I don't understand:
On the same page it says:"DO NOT use the plastic caps with composite solid axle included in the kit. The new #305241 3.5mm plastic caps are for use ONLY with GEAR diffs, ALU ball diffs, or the XRAY Multi-Diff."

How weard is that?! So in the kit are plastic caps that you can't use!
So which plastic caps do you have to use, what is the partnumber and why are they not in the kit?!

Another question:
is "308019 Set of Shock Shims & Nuts" in the kit?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 01:03:44 

Have to declare some. The T3R is not designed for top of the line racing, thats the reguler T3 2012. It is desined for entry or stock, where rotating weight is very important. These alu driveshafts are mush better then other manufacturers I know. Those last for 2 runs, not more...

The larger diameter of the alu requires just a bit less dual rate.

The most important with driveshafts is maintenance. Always clean and apply graphite grease on the parts after every 10 runs. The whole assembly will last much longer.

The ECS has double joints with double maintenance needs, and the lighter pins can brake easily on bigger impacts. Its very good for asphalt tracks with long, fast sweepers, if you have it on your track, then its a smart option. In my opinion the best combination for serious racing is the normal steel driveshaft with alu outdrives and plastic caps.

"DO NOT use the plastic caps with composite solid axle included in the kit. The new #305241 3.5mm plastic caps are for use ONLY with GEAR diffs, ALU ball diffs, or the XRAY Multi-Diff." - This is like : " dont put your cat in the microwave when you want to dry him/her" :twisted:

Post subject: T3'12 Driveshaft Problem
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 13:03:31 

For the T3'12!

Thought of the ECS driveshaft because of wobbling when steering.
Does that occur with the items in the kit?
If not I'm not gonna buy the ECS driveshafts.
I saw on youtube that the kit driveshafts meant trouble when steering.

You say:"In my opinion the best combination for serious racing is the normal steel driveshaft with alu outdrives and plastic caps."
That means that I can't use the composite front solid axle that is in the kit?
Which one to use than? Partnumber?
Or just other outdrives? Again, partnumber?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 15:21:02 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:59:25 

Thanks for the replies, i shall use those tips.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00:00 
team driver

It sounds like that you are just unlucky. To get rid of the excess vibration you have to get the optional ECS driveshafts.