[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Query on piston holes on kit shocks

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 00:24:21

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Query on piston holes on kit shocks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 16:42:59 

Am I right in recalling that the pistion hole diameters on the kit shocks are 0.9? If so I am planning to fit alu shock pistons with 2* 1.3 holes to get to the 012 kit settings of 3 holes open, which would equal 0.9*3 = 2.7

Post subject: Re: Query on piston holes on kit shocks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 18:12:28 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 18:30:05 

I thought the OEM kit shocks were 3*1.0mm

Skiddins

P.S. I use 3*1.1mm with the alloy shocks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 21:09:47 

Blast I stand corrected :D surface area it is.

I am interested in your comment Greenwing on the no. of holes having a different characteristic (irrespective of total surface area as I interpreted what you said). Simplistically I just thought that two setups with different number of holes but with the same total surface area would provide the same resistance?

Assuming the kit holes are 1.0 as Skiddins felt then his setup is a 21% increase in surface area over kit settings, whereas I would be inclined(as starting point for me) to go for 2*1.1 which is 4% reduction is surface area, which I would have thought was indistinguishable from kit setting.

How about it Martin and XRAY guys - what is the diameter of the piston holes in the plastic kit pistons?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 16:55:21 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:41:00 
team driver

the plastic shocks have 1.0 hole pistons

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 14:12:46 
team driver

The thickness of the piston also makes a difference...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 18:07:01 

Thanks Greenwing, Martin and David. I am wondering if such small things translate into something noticeable in reality; but intend to have a play over the next few weeks to find out!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 07:57:41 
team driver

Yes that is what you need to do. The theory and reality many times differ. Therefore I always want to try everything by myself and I never follow theory.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:37:08 

LOL Martin, I follow theory and then bang my head against the rostrum wall when I prove the theory to be wrong 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 16:00:45 
team driver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 08:53:51 
team driver

Yellowshark,

Off course it is best way to follow theory as it is always 99% correct. Therefore I write all those set up books as it is universal key to adjust the car. My point is that it sometimes really happen that I adjust the set up according to theory and my knowledge and on some particular track or conditions it works completely different. For example, I was on one race where my car was very difficult to drive as the front of the car was stopping in the corners (mainly in one particular chicane) and than the rear got loose. From my own experience and theory I change from standard medium C-hubs to Hard C-hubs as I tought by making front suspension stiffer, fron would stop less. Then I went to track and car was stopping even more. I was really shocked, then I said ok, try opposite, so I change to soft c-hubs and the car did not stop at all and the problem was solved. Then I went to other race (DHI-cup) and I started again with medium C-hubs. When the traction increased, I had the same problem with stopping of the car and mainly in one chicane which was almost identical as the chicane on the previous race. Therefore I changed to soft C-hub as I was sure that problem is going to be solved. Than I went to the track and the car was stopping much more. So I changed to hard c-hubs and problem was solved.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 20:13:42 

Hello all, is there a reason to drill the holes to 1.1mm?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 02:45:01 

Well Martin, that did make me smile! It is good to know that someone with your knowledge of the XRAY can also get it wrong - there is hope for us all :D So you don't feel too bad I would have taken a similar approach too, not that I have experienced that problem before; not with the c-hubs as I do not carry alternatives but I would probabaly have started by raising the shocks one notch.