[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Xray t2 009 drive shaft adapter consistently breaking

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 00:26:35

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Xray t2 009 drive shaft adapter consistently breaking
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 02:51:44 

Hello,

I'm new to R/C and new to the forum. I purchased a used t2 009 in great condition.

So far though the only thing consistent about my time on the track is that I'm almost guaranteed to break multiple composite front drive shaft adapters.

I have yet to do anything more than run practice laps because I rarely get in a five minute run without a break.

I did mention I'm new to this so I do hit/bump/rub the track rail pretty frequently but not usually all that hard. I have been taking it pretty easy trying to master the controls and running 4-5 seconds/lap behind more experienced drivers on my best laps. It just seems really odd that this part would break so consistently and easily.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this problem?

Thanks,

Sherm

Post subject: Re: Xray t2 009 drive shaft adapter consistently breaking
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 21:09:09 

What do you run in front a spool?
With alu outdrives? Maybe theses outdrives have been damaged and now kill the blades!?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 21:53:20 

I suppose it would be a spool, I don't have a differential. I have considered going to a diff, but haven't looked into it too deeply yet. I did order some aluminum out drives to see if they work better for me, but I'd like to try and find what's causing the composite ones to break so easily if I can.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 22:41:27 

If you rotate one wheel and the other follows in the same direction it is a spool (or locked Multi-Diff).
If it rotates free in one direction it is a one-way.
If the opposite wheel rotates in the different direction its the diff.

The spool, Multi-Diff and Diff are differentiated easily. Just look in the manual or on Xray website.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 16:08:20 

Hi firstly to avoid any confusion, in XRAY parlance in the 009 manual they call the "Outdrives" on their spool Adaptors and on their diff Outdrives. I do not think we are talking about blades (XRAY parlance is Caps) here.

I cannot really provide an explanatoion as to why the Adaptors would be breaking every race. All I can say is that during 4 years of driving 008s and 009s I have broken one Adaptor and that was in a seriously fast crash into an immovable trackside object which also substantially bent the motor mount bulkhead.

My inclination is to say dismantle the entire front axle area - C-Hubs, suspension arm,driveshafts, spool and check everything and rebuild. If you are quite new to the sport try and get some help from a more experienced driver even if they do not drive an XRAY, they will probably spot anything obviously wrong to the trained eye. If you compare each component with itself on the other side that will help you spot something that looks wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 03:11:04 

I had a spell of breaking the outdrives so changed to titanium racing ones with the alloy sleaves not had a problem since.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 15:28:18 

One thing I found helped a bit with the spool outdrives was to wrap some cell tape around them a couple of times. THis helps the outfrive to distort a bit whithout snapping.

It's not a miracle cure but might be worth trying.

Skiddins

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 16:53:25 

Colour matching outdrives; awesome :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 21:41:26 

I also thought: SWEEET!

Where did you get the orange colored tape?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 03:09:04 

It was made by Much More (Part CS-TO), I've had it so long I can't remember where I bought it.

Skiddins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 19:49:50 

also xenon :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 14:08:05 

I rebuilt the front end of the car and noticed a few places where the front axle may have been binding when the front suspension was compressed. I paid special attention to those areas as I put the car back together.

Saturday I spent about 5 hours at the track and I didn't have to replace a single outdrive and since I was able to spend more time racing and less time fixing I shaved 2 seconds off my best lap. I'll call it a win.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sherm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 01:50:47 

Glad to hear you have fixed the problem (we hope!)