[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Chassis scrape...or lack thereof

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 17:05:27

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Chassis scrape...or lack thereof
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 15:44:34 

I have noticed something unusual about my T3 compared to others and that is the small amount of chassis scrape I get. I have noticed everyone else's cars scrape massive amounts, even with the same or similar setups. Even on the track you can see it. My car sits very flat while everyone else's tends to roll alot more even with the same springs, ride height, roll centres droop etc.

I think this might be the reason why I can't get a car to work very well due to the fact that the car is not rolling properly. I have to slow down alot (nearly stopping sometimes) for corners to get around the track. When I drive other peoples cars it feels like have 100x more grip and the car flies around the corner without slowing down very much. Setup change seems to do nothing to help the cars handling either, I feel like I have tried everything.

Has anyone else experienced this or seen this?

Thanks

Josh

Post subject: Re: Chassis scrape...or lack thereof
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 16:14:31 

Do you run the same tires, traction additive as the others?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:02:51 

Yep.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:51:15 
team driver

Obviously there is some difference to the other cars.

This could be as simple as a wrong steering EPA, messed up downstop/ridehight settings or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 07:04:25 

do u have set up tools?
if not,borrow from someone and check everything and tweek the car
have u made rebound on your shocks?

i think u didnt and they dont compress

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 08:44:07 

if you screw on the lower shock mount plastic to tight on the piston u might have a stuck damper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:43:45 

The one with tyres is my car, the other is my friends. There wear is much more noticeable in real life.

Everything seems to be function correctly, cvs are in good condition nothing is bent or binding. My T3 2011 also does this.

My only thought is that something odd is happening dynamically that can't really be seen.

I understand this is hard to diagnose on a forum so I am hoping someone else has come across this and found a solution.

I am getting full lock left and right with equal epa on the radio left to right.

The ride height and droop has been checked by others with their tools and everything seems to check out ok. But doesn't change the handling on the track.

The biggest thing I can see the car doing is not rolling. I regularly notice everyone elses cars rolling to some extent.

I am curious to see what the Hudy's or Hagberg thinks.

If anyone has any suggestions of things to try, don't hold back :)

Thanks

Josh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 00:38:23 

Check your shocks, make sure you have the short ones on, the preload is set for proper ride height and how much rebound are they set for. Also the weight of oil. If the rebound is really high it will never let the car settle in.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 01:22:12 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 14:46:42 

Hi

Some suggestions - are you getting full suspension travel? (check it on the bench, and compare to others). Sometimes the upper link can bind on the rear hub if you are running with no shims on the outer hole. Secondly check that the driveshafts are not binding in the diff. Thirdly, check that the lower wishbones are not binding on the chassis plate - sometimes happens, particularly on the -0.75mm mounts (sand the wishbone down to give clearance). Remove the shocks and roll bars and check that the whole suspensions all moves smoothy to full travel and drops under its own weight. Then check that the opposite wishbones move equally with the roll bars re-installed. Check the shocks have full movement (have you got an O-ring fitted under the piston? if so take it out). Are the lower wishbone pivot pins bent?

On the dynamic side - The T3 is sensitive to roll centre settings - are you running the same as others? (or the kit settings). Check the obvious things - same springs L & R and to the setup sheet, likewise for shock oil, roll bars and no of holes in the pistons.

Maybe go back to kit setup and start again from there, if necessary, strip it all down and rebuild it :) .........

Having said that, I don't get a lot of bottoming on my T3'11 running 5.8mm ride height outdoors....

HTH !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 07:37:29 

Just swap cars when Ben isn't looking?

A couple quick questions:
Is the difference in scrape between the two cars only side to side or also at the front and back, i.e. does your car only not roll or does it also not touch down over bumps?
Are you running the same length driveshafts as the other car?
Are you running a lightweight body? Is the body the same, is it mounted on the same holes?
Are the tyres you are using the same type and amount of wear?

I gave Tim Lee a drive of my car at Whalan the other week and he said it was rolling more than his, we were using the same springs and bars but he had his shocks laid down and low RCs on which should make it roll way more, so I think the best thing to do is to try to correct the handling issues you're having without worrying about the other car ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 14:24:01 

WHat you need to remember is that everytime you scrape the chassis (providing you're not doing it over curbs) the suspension isn't doing it's job.
You're also going to wear the chassis out where the motor cutout is.

As mentioned, forget how much scraping your getting and work on the handling.
Check the shocks are even and smooth, you can even compare them with those from your friends car.

Skiddins

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:53:13 

With all things the same, my car has alot less wear in the front and rear of the chassis.

Myself and others can't find anything blatantly wrong with the car. I have seen cars with flogged out drivetrains and suspension have excellent corner speed and balance.

The biggest problem I also have is setup change not having any effect on the car. In the last 5 years you would think I would have found something.

I will have to come out to SMA one sunday soon and have a run, maybe see what you lot can suggest.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 14:16:29 

do you have right caster?
i mean do you have front left c-hub on left and front right c-hub on right?
left c-hub- 4L
right c-hub- 4R
check it