[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Camber & upright/C-hub shims

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 00:15:35

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Camber & upright/C-hub shims
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 21:00:41 

Hi,

What effect does it give to the car if I increase or decrease camber on the front and/or rear ? and

what does it do to the handling if I add or remove shims on the uprights or c-cubs ? as I see alot of setup sheets where people adjust the shim thickness.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Camber & upright/C-hub shims
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 02:08:18 
team driver

Generally, increasing camber on one end of the car will result in more traction at that end to a point. Genearlly, I do not exceed 2.5 degrees of camber at either the front or the rear under most circumstances.

I generally start out with 1.5 degrees in the front and 2 in the rear and adjust for balance as needed.

shims underneath the camberlinks on the front or rear hubs is a little different matter.

Generally, a flatter camberlink in the front will result in faster direction transitions and sometimes steering into the corner. Adding shims to the front will generally reduce the transition speed but increases steering from the middle of the corner and out in most circumstances.

Generally, running a flatter rear camberlink will result in more weight being transferred forward when entering a corner but generally less rear traction being available in the middle or exit of a corner... the car may have a tendancy to have the rear end step out more abrubtly as well. Adding sihms to the rear will generally make any loss of traction in the rear more gradual and generally your car will have more side bite as well.

Every tire and track react differently to camber and cambergain, so I would recommend making small changes in your camber 0.5 degrees or camberlinks of 0.5 mm shims at a time to see what the effect is for you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 06:33:21 

^^^ Great post!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 09:17:10 

Thankyou. :D