[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - 008 set ups, shock oil weight and new style speedo's

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 08:31:07

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 008 set ups, shock oil weight and new style speedo's
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 00:42:16 

I know the title seems a bit vague, but it perhaps sums up what I want to discuss.

I bought a second hand 008 - after a traumatic experience with an MI4LP - anyway, that's not the topic of this post.

I noted with the LP that it was very sensitive to oil weight - 35wt oil just made the car collapse in corners. The funny thing was that it was not such a problem when I had my previous NOSRAM Stock Spec speedo. A change to a Hobbywing with 518 software that advances the timing really unsettled the car particularly when the car came off power. A change to 445 weight oil seemed to redress the problem a bit, but not enough for me to keep the car.

Anyway, I have noted that nearly all the 008 set-ups are with 35wt oil. Speaking to people with 008's and 009's at my local track - all seem to be plumping for 45 wt oil.

Now I am a bit curious, because the previous 008 set-ups were with older speedos that don't do such variable and significant turbos and advance as they do now. :roll:

With that in mind, is it therefore logical that the oil weights that people use are reflective of this, or am I barking up the wrong tree. :?:

I was gonna thicken oil in any event to slightly slow down the cars' reaction a bit a smoothen it.

People in the know - let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: 008 set ups, shock oil weight and new style speedo's
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 18:43:57 

my 2cents,

The kit setup is a very general setup, it will work best with medium speed motor(stock classes). The problem these days is that the stock classes have become similar to mod speeds with the timing advance speed controls. So, I think you should study a few of the mod setups and try some of things you see on them. I have noticed on my 009 that my setup seems to get more and more stiff, to help deal withe the insane speeds.

DW