[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Stripped spur gears

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:09:50

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Stripped spur gears
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 05:30:18 

I love my fk'05 but i have stripped so many spur gears and can't work it out. Has any one had the same problem. last weekend i was going throught one every race, its not coming of the track. any help would be good. :x :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 06:34:51 

are you running outdoors or indoors... what spurs are you using...... what pitch are you using....... you might want to leave a bit more information so we can give you some help :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 07:21:23 

When you put a motor in, make sure the spur gear has a tiny bit of movement. Don't mesh the gears too close or too far, have as tiny bit of movement as posible. Sorry if you can't under stand what i'm trying to say, it's a hard thing to explain. Drew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 08:49:49 

im running outdoor on asphalt, my gear mesh is good and im running the standard xray 84t/48 pitch spur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 09:06:58 

i also experience that.....
seems the spur gear too soft....so i change to use another brand...
then the problem is fixed..
will X-ray produce harder spur gear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 09:54:47 

I think Kimbrough would be the best after Xray. kimbrough are a little harder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:34:19 

hi, theres a note on this in the faq section.ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 15:17:15 

Also, swap out the cap end motor screws supplied with the kit, get some decent 3mm hex bolts for the motor...and don't use the supplied gear, I've yet to have the kit one last a race meeting. RW do a great gear which is lighter, thinner, white and stonger.

Post subject: Re: Stripped spur gears
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 16:19:51 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 16:58:49 

I read through the FAQ section, but the hints did not solved the problem. I still break 2-3 spurs on a race (I had to give up using the spool because the problem was even worse with that).

I have 5 spurs in my bag allways but they are too expensive. (15$ for spurs on a race its crazy).
We run on an indoor asphalt track virtually no debris on it. Other xray drivers complain about the same issue. Nobody has ever seen a soft spur like this. I like the 48 pitch but can't get one from other manufacturers which fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 19:22:50 

best spur gears around!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 20:46:49 

Hi Michael - Yes it is a fact with the new FK05 - I know of many people scrubbing the teeth off spurs and following the FAQ does not help. I ripped through 3 in 3 weeks.

I would suggest RW as I've not had any problems whatsoever since changing. I also notice that one of the very top Team XRAY drivers also uses them. Look at the recent news reports with full-on chassis shots and you will see they are using a white coloured spur gear.

Best regards, Mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 20:49:36 

I had the same problem with my stock 48p spurs, 84 and 87 tooth. I did not want to switch to 64p because I run outdoor asphalt and thought they would stip quickly because of the small rocks and sand you find on most outdoor track. Last state race here in Florida I went through 4 spurs in 4 rounds of racing and 3 practice rounds. I finally switched to the 64p PRS gears and ran this past weekend on the same spur the whole time, 3 races and 3 practices, and there is hardly a mark on the sput. Go with the PRS gears though, the Kimbrough's are a little wider and come very close to the motor mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 21:06:49 

I ripped all the teeth off the stock spur on the '05 in three runs. I've never stripped a spur during my whole 10 years in this hobby. I was confused...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 21:43:24 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 21:43:29 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 22:07:47 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 03:53:13 

Forgot to mention that since I've been running the multi-diff with the spool (locked) I have been stripping more gears, that's probably has made it worse because I do bounce off a pipe every once in a while :lol: When I was running the diff it did not happen as often, but still did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 05:41:48 

thanks for the help, i will try different spurs. 8) 8)

Post subject: same issue with my spurs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 19:45:23 

They are way too soft. I have gone through 6 spur gears in four weekends of racing and I mostly race stock!

Here is what I did:
Mount a kimbrough racing spur gear in the car
The spur will rub on the motor mount
Have someone run the car at full speed and hold the car in place
Take a file and hold it against the spur gear until it stops touching the motor mount
Problem solved. kimbrough spurs are much stronger. You will add rotational mass but I dont notice the change. HMMM... Heavier/Stronger spur or not finishing races with xray gears. Ill choose finishing the race. :D

Last edited by xrayt1r on Mon Aug 15, 2005 17:12:56, edited 1 time in total.