[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - error in instructions for T4'15?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 00:21:35

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: error in instructions for T4'15?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 19:22:40 

I'm assembling my T4'15, and I think I've found an error in the instruction manual...

When I got to the front transmission (after doing the standard rear suspension), on page 22, I couldn't find the 10mm ball ends, but I had what appeared to be extraneous 8mm ball ends.

While double-checking things (I unpacked bag 8, for the active rear suspension, just in case), I noticed that on the exploded view on page 18, for what looks like the ball end on top of the rear upright, the part number for the ball end was 362651, which is for 8mm ball ends. But on page 21, that called for 10mm ball ends, which would be part number 362652.

I'm guessing the exploded view has the correct part number, but the diagram on page 21 has a mistake?

Post subject: Re: error in instructions for T4'15?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 01:05:45 

Same for me but luckily I had some spare 10mm ball ends. But saying that it's a awesome bit of kit definitely 10/10.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 03:46:02 

In the instruction manual there is error however on page 21 - STANDARD REAR SUSPENSION, in the kit are included 8mm ball ends so you should use these as initial setting (please check the exploded view on page 18 where are correct part nubers. Also for ARS - ACTIVE REAR SUSPENSION on page 21 you should use 8mm ball ends and not 10mm as written in the manual. Sorry for confusion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 09:55:14 

hi brano,
I was referring to the 10mm ball end that screws throw the top of the C hub into the steering arm. Instead of getting 2x10mm ball end I got 2x8mm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 22:19:59 

I also believe that in the diagram for the active rear suspension on page 20, the image is inverted (or, if you will, the "right" and "left" labels should be inverted).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 02:50:52 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 02:55:30 

The screw lengths for bag 7 are also rather wrong, it would seem...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:01:01 

A bit more details...

On page 29, both the exploded view and the diagram say to use a number of 3x10mm screws, but (as I recall) there wasn't any? There was exactly the right number of extra 3x8mm screws than was supposed to be (from the further steps), so I used those instead.

On page 32, assembling the servo mount, it would have been nice if the orientation of the bigger alu servo mount was specified, as there are threads in one of the side holes, but not the other... This seems to be for the optional lipo stand and shim kit, from what I can tell on page 34, and the threaded hole should go on top?

This diagram of the lipo stand and shim kit confused me a bit, because it didn't have the otherwise pervasive clear "optional" label (like those of the graphite + alu fully adjustable battery holder and the alu lipo battery backstops, in the same page and frame).

On page 32 and 33, to assemble and attach the servo mount assembly, the instructions call for 3x6mm screws, these seemed too long (and in insufficient numbers), but there were many "extra" 3x4mm screws that seemed to work fine. Similar problem with the antenna holder, which called for a 3x8mm screw, but while I had one (which I would eventually need to attach up the front bumper), it didn't even go the whole way (I used another "extra" 3x4mm screw instead).

More of this on page 34, for the lipo battery backstops, the instructions call for 3x6mm, which do not fit, I used more 3x4mm.

I hope none of this weakened my car? Especially the front bumper, in that case I could have seen 3x10mm screws fitting properly, and being a bit stronger?

I was also a bit worried when attaching the rear shocks to the shock tower, with the 3mm shim (as I'm building the standard suspension), the screw didn't seem to bit into a lot of thread in the shock ball end? That might be fine, just looked a bit flimsier than I would have liked (but then, my older cars were almost all off-road cars, so maybe I just worry too much!).

Is there any chance of an errata being issued? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 19:13:48 

Ah, I see there was indeed an errata (and updated manual)!

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/news/n ... goria=4069

Good job on the clarification of the linkages, it's clearer this way indeed.

The mirror image of the steering block for the active rear suspension is still there, as well as the issues I found in my previous post, but seeing an update so quickly covering the first issues certainly gives me hope that this will be all sorted out soon!

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 06:38:02 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 18:26:56 

I was measuring the flat head screws incorrectly (measuring only the threaded part, like the round head screws, instead of the entire screw). I went back and double-checked all the screws I used in part 7, and everything was fine, in accordance to the manual. Sorry about this mix-up. that was my bad!

The orientation of bigger alu servo mount is not a big problem, since if you have the optional alu shim battery backstop (instead of the kit provided composite battery backstop), it'll be obvious, and if you add it later, you'll most likely have to disassemble the servo mount anyway, which will let you see it easily.

Speaking of the composite battery backstops, on page 34, for the one close to the motor, there was two holes on the chassis, but just one in the diagram. Looking on the cover photo of the manual, you can see the extra hole, right next to the motor mount. In fact, I used the wrong hole, but I think it shouldn't be a problem?

On page 20, I still believe that the diagram for the steering block and C-hub of the ARS is backward (it looks the same as for the front, but you need to have the steering block arms facing the opposite direction).

That means there's only one issue that's actually wrong (the ARS steering block diagram), the rest are just possible improvements, but nothing critical. Even that one issue is rather easy to figure out, so the updated manual puts the build in a good state, but I figure Xray might be the type to get things perfect? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 02:33:00 

I'm starting to thing that the picture for the offset spur gear might be backward?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:19:45