[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - T2 006 to T2 008 Conversion?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 20:14:32

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: T2 006 to T2 008 Conversion?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 04:36:36 

Okay, so here's the deal. I've got a full T2 006 car, I recently came into a t2 008 chassis that includes: the top deck, towers, bulkheads, belts, lay-shaft assembly w/ spur and pulleys, and the servo saver / steering unit. I've been doing a lot of research about the compatibility of parts (still mega confused hence this thread) and from what I can tell everything else from the 006 should fit on the 008? Pretty much all the drive line and suspension components (arms, chubs, steering linkages, axels, diffs, etc.). My biggest question is about the arms and the shocks, in the parts compatibility list provided by xray it states that the 006 arms and shocks are compatible with the 008 but the description of the 008 notes longer arms and shorter shocks as a feature of the car and I notice the roll bar mounting points are different on the rear arms. Some insight into this matter would be helpful as I don't want to tear down one kit and build up another just to find I've majorly boogered the geometry on it.

Post subject: Re: T2 006 to T2 008 Conversion?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 05:53:56 

Owning both cars, I can say that there isn't a lot of parts that are compatible between the two.

The arms changed slightly from the T2 and T2'007 to T2'008 (different length and different shock mounting holes)
The diffs changed so that the spur gear is centralised in the chassis (different offset)
The shocks on the T2'008 are shorter (both shock body and shaft), subsequently the shock towers are different
With the 1.7 drive ratio, only the front belt is the same for both cars

To understand the parts cross reference table, if there is an 'x' or an 'o' against one chassis, but is blank against the other, the part is not compatible between the two.

When I changed to the T2'009 from the T2, I had to buy a lot of new spares as all the important ones weren't compatible. Fortunately the spares I have for the T2'009 are still compatible with the T3 (and susbsequent variants) so I shouldn't have to reinvest in spares should I buy a new car. I may get the next model depending on what happens between now and when it is released.

You could use the T2 arms on the T2'008, but you'd have to space them out with the T2 spacers to get to the same width and you probably will need 52mm driveshafts as the T2 driveshafts are 50mm and won't go into the outdrives far enough.

The T2 shocks would be too long on the T2'008 towers so you probably wouldn't be able to get downstops to where you want them. The rears will also still rub on the wheel unless you used the inside holes. Because of the extra length, this would cause you problems.

C-hubs, knuckles, rear hubs and linkages are still compatible but the T2'008 changed from 1 degree to 0 and added more rear toe at the bulkheads.

In a nutshell, it's possibly doable, but you've got to work out if it's worth it.