[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Need More Steering

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 22:09:30

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Need More Steering
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 01:23:36 

First meeting back at West London for a couple of months and found I was struggling a bit for steering.

It may partly be down to me trying to carry too much corner speed and actually acheiving the opposite.

This was the setup I ended on;

I also tried 1.5mm shims at the front wishbones (no arm sweep), 2.8F & 2.6R springs.
0 & 1mm ackerman shims, shocks more upright, 1mm at the steering link knuckle and HPI Pink(F) and silver(R) springs.
Also 1mm at he front upper clamp

The biggest change was making the front upper link shorter which helped.
Didn't have time to try making the rear link longer, or reducing rear toe in.

Rear grip wasn't an issue unless I really tried to provoke it.

Would changing to the 2.0mm chassis give me a lot more steering?
Any idea's?

Thanks
Skiddins

Post subject: Re: Need More Steering
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 02:38:04 
team driver

Soften the front sway bar?
More on power steering - what about a caster change?
Change to 2 piece suspension blocks for the front-rear.
Raise the rear/lower the front.

Thats what I'd try.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:58:24 

There are a lot of ways to get more steering. For example:

After see your setup, I suggest this:

- Front roll center upper clamp to position 3
- Check that steering block is just a 1mm from the c-hub with complete steering wheel/stick in the radio
- Shocks more inclined (More vertical is better for on-power steering (for example for chicanes), but less steering). Try to put in rear in the point 2
- Less rear toe-in. I see you use 13.5 motor. Try to put 2ยบ rear toe

With this you must see a lot of difference. I hope this help.

Regards.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 01:29:12 

Try 2mm on the front uprights (bump steer), 2mm on the ackermann or let the rear roll a bit more (0,5mm more droop).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 02:20:35 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 22:43:28 
team driver

Actually the 2mm chassis will most of all increase rear traction.

I suggest that you put a silver spring also in the front.

Front swaybar 1.3mm.

Rear camber -1.5.

Much heaver rear diff oil is required. I would suggest 2K - 3K as a starting point for asphalt.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 00:55:15 

Well this is the setup I ended on at the same track on Sunday;

I made a couple of the recommended changes; 1.3mm front roll bar and leaning the shocks in more.
I also went to 550 front oil which helped turn in a bit.

I was reluctant to try less rear toe as the rear was on the brink of stepping out a lot of the time, and did so a few times.

It was better, but the FTD car still looked like it had more direct/sharper steering to get through the twisty bits of the track.

So what does everyone recommend to try next?

Alex, why take the gear diff oil up to 2-3000, won't that take away steering? Grip is medium.
I didn't have time to change the diff oil this time.

Thanks
Skiddins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 07:15:44 
team driver

5.5 front droop, 3 rear droop.
As I recommended above, try the two piece suspension blocks from the front-rear of the chassis. Makes a big difference to overall steering.

Cheers
Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 05:39:55 
team driver

P37 should offer more steering too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 18:31:30 

I was thinking about changing to the 2mm Xray chassis, which should give more rear grip according to everyone on here, then using less rear toe etc to gain steering.

I have now put 2000 oil in the gear diff and I'm considering the rear toe block modification (I have some spare anyway).

What else for steering?
I don't really want to move away from the PF LTC-R's if I can help it ( ihave a standard weight and lightweight)

Thanks
Skiddins

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 03:43:05 

why dont u try a gear diff in the front with 500.000 or putty?