[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - T3 2012 set up changes for asphalt foam racing?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 00:25:38

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: T3 2012 set up changes for asphalt foam racing?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 16:11:26 

Hello fellow Xray racers,

Here in Croatia we race 10,5T boosted Super Stock on foams (mainly GRP and VTEC) outdoors on low-medium grip asphalt. How rubber tyres perform seems to depend on various factors (if 1/5 is driven a lot the track holds very well- last year large scale was very rarely driven, plus the track has had some work on it), last year no one used them because they simply didn't offer the grip foams have. I raced 13,5T blinky on foam and rubber (mostly foam) last year but this fast class is new to me, so what are the basic set up changes (if any?) for these conditions? This combination is ingored in the setup sheets because it isn't raced anywhere these days, so I'd like to arrive at the track with a general idea of where to start set up work.

Many thanks for your help,
Denis

Post subject: Re: T3 2012 set up changes for asphalt foam racing?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 21:57:43 

Hello Denis,

first I would start from where you are. If the car doesn't work as you would like it you should try some different chassis flex settings as those have a great impact on the car's handling and it's done quickly. The following is what I did when running foam tyres on asphalt. I lowered the ride height, used harder springs (28lb in the front, 20lb in the rear), set the camber to -1° in the front and -0.5° in the rear and used the inner camber link position on the rear hub to decrease the loss in camber during chassis roll for better running through fast corners. But be carefully with lowering the ride height on bumpy tracks. That could wear out the chassis pretty hard when running too low. Those GRP (electric) are missiles! Do they still spot PARMA on the rim or GRP already? I really like the GRP foam tyres! Are you prefering their mixed shore tyres or their equal shore ones?

Maybe you want to try a body designed for foam racing, too (if not already in usage). The PF R9-F for instance.

Regards,
Green Wing

Edited

Last edited by Green Wing on Wed Feb 29, 2012 00:31:36, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: T3 2012 set up changes for asphalt foam racing?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42:42 

Hi Green Wing!

Thanks for your reply, now that the weather in Europe is getting better I hope I will get some runs this week. First run with a new car in a new class, it should be an interesting day. By chassis flex, do you mean removing some screws from the top deck? The GRP foams are really great but they wear extremely fast, which is why I don't always use them for training days ( you can buy 2 sets in the morning and after training, qualifications and finals you can throw both sets in the garbage!). The grip level on those foams is unmatchable. I also run VTEC and PMT foams but none are as good as GRP. I like to have same shore front & rear, normally using 35 and 40 in hotter conditions. But, sometimes there are only one type available to buy so we have to drive what is possible at the moment. I believe there is no more Parma on the rims, I will check though ;) I have tried R9-F but I found that a classic Mazda 6 body is better. I do have a new Audi S5 waiting for painting, can' wait to see how that handles.

Denis