[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Sloppy Front End

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 15:22:20

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Sloppy Front End
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:41:10 

Anyone with the X12 will know how much play there is in the front end. Theres 2-3 degree of play or more in both camber and toe. People have suggested to completely swap over to the AE or VBC front end as they minimizes the slop dramatically. I bought Xray because of its quality and brand (and the orange color from the 2015 edition). It feels kind of weird slapping on parts from other brands. Also, dispite all the slop, the car still drives fine...but I cant help but think how much better the car would feel if we took away the play.

Anyone have any tips on how to tighten the stock front end?

Post subject: Re: Sloppy Front End
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 21:57:05 
team driver

Hey,

sorry to hear about that, im sure we can sort that.

Can you see which part has the play?

Is it the fitment of ball into eyelet or the king pin inside the ball?

Sometimes i will lightly score the inside of the eyelet which the ball fits into, this slightly pinches the ball reducing wobble/play. Id do it four times, so once and 12, 3, 6 and 9 o clock if that makes sense? You do need to make sure everything is still smooth and free moving tho.

Let me know if this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 03:01:40 
team driver

I agree and have the same problem on both my X10 and X12. The X10 being much worse. I haven't bothered to do anything about it as it doesn't seem to affect the car, but if anyone were to make a guide on how to reduce this on the XRay I'd be greatly appreciative.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 01:46:30 

Oops, forgot about this...Here are the play I observe.

Steering

Stock servo saver: 1-2mm play side to side
Steering link ball cups: Minimal Play

Camber

Pivot balls: 0.5-1mm play up and down, left and right within the upper and lower arms
Hinge pin: 0.5-1mm play with the upper arm

Heres a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72caqG1OpeM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:27:06 

hello olly i have my x12 since 2 months and it has 50 hours of training on it and i think that the sloop concentrates in the upper eyelet i think the steel ball has eaten the plastic eyelet, if the surface is like the 5.8 balls is very simple to solve, a very good manufacturing polish will resolve that, i think the upper arm has some sloop in the 2 mm hig pin.. i think it is too small, while smaller the diameter it will has slopp more quicly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 19:41:40 

i also see a lot of play in the front. Much more than e.g. in the AE's of my colleagues. It is the pivot balls in the upper and lower arm.
Olly, you mentioned that you score the inside of the eylet. I don't understand what exactly you mean, could you explain or maybe add a picture?

@ disaster 999, you mentioned exchanging some parts for AE parts. Which parts would you exchange? Aren't the AE parts imperial, whereas XRAY is metric, is this compatible?

The new steering blocks apparently have less play, but the steering blocks were not the problem imho.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:46:11 
team driver

Hey,

sorry for late reply

yes I find if the ball inside the eyelet is a little loose you can use a scapel blade to fix it.

Remove the ball from eyelet, then in four places (12,3,6,9 o clock) simply just put small line with sharpe scaple. This will leave a little groove which will hold the ball tighter. Always make sure the ball can still move freely. If it's tight after re fitting just move the ball around until free. Hope this makes sense :-)

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 18:32:37 

Is there any downside to the hard composite and graphite front suspension parts? Do they help keep out slop around the pivot balls? Are they significantly more fragile?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 19:46:37 

I was wondering, whether the play in the front suspension was reduced in the 2016 model. On the X12 website it is mentioned that the steering block was modified. However, it was my understanding that this was already done for the 2015 version. And the main problem are in my opinion the pivot balls in the upper and lower arm. Were these also changed, or does the 2016 version have as much play as the 2015? Does anybody know?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 20:37:10 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 14:35:02 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 09:56:51 
team driver

Hi,

Can you take a photo of the part with the play? You should have some movement/play.

I have tested with both, zero play/wobble and with some play/wobble and on track its very difficult to notice the difference. Running with some play actually can make car easier to drive sometimes when driving over bumps etc.

Oj