[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Rear Suspension Movement

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 01:27:54

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Rear Suspension Movement
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 13:13:25 

Has anyone noticed that the rear left-hand suspension does not rise as high as the right-hand suspension? Let me explain what I mean.

Assemble the rear of the car but leave, the tires, springs and anti-roll bar off. Make sure the upstops have been removed and the camber links are equal length - I set mine at 47mm as stated in the Instruction Manual.

Place the car on the set-up board, raise the left-hand suspension fully and check the distance between the set-up board and the underside of the suspension hub. You can use the droop gauge for this as the difference is very noticeable. Repeat on the right-hand. On both my NT1 cars the gap under the right-hand hub is considerably more than the left-hand. I have checked this using dogbones and with CV shafts. It is more noticeable with the CV shafts.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Rear Suspension Movement
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 15:59:24 

In above post, please ignore comment about upstops

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 20:28:40 

I assume from the lack of comments that I am the only one to have noticed this anomaly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 00:52:44 
team driver

Not sure I understand why it would be an issue.
Isnt the shock/spring going to limit suspension travel so it wont become an issue?
Maybe a photo might give us a better understanding?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 09:27:57 

Thanks Andrew! I don't think it's an issue regarding droop setting or the full extension of the suspension on the track. It's just that I have had an NT1 for nearly 3 years and haven't noticed the difference in suspension travel on the rear previously.

I am not sure a photo will help. To check it, lay the chassis on a flat surface with springs and ARB disconnected. Lift each hub and check the distance between the flat surface and the underside of the hubs. On both my NT! cars, the left side raises higher than the right and, out of interest only, I would like to know why :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 19:32:45 

The only thing which could cause this is an uneven length of the top links or lower wishbone.
Probably you're running less camber on the LH side of the car, so you have a longer link.
Because of the longer link it is able to travel more distance before the pivots reach their maximum articulation, and therefore the arm is able to travel higher.
If you have both suspension sides set exactly the same they will have an equal amount of travel.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 19:50:27 

I agree that the camber links will affect the upward movement of the suspension. However, as I said in my original post, I set both at 47mm as stated in the Instruction Manual. If I remove the camber links the suspension upward movement is the same both sides so why does equal camber links cause this poblem?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 21:06:55 

Thanks for looking - I now know the answer - diff movement