[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Bevel and differential gear problems

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 01:22:12

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Bevel and differential gear problems
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 17:07:22 

Hi,

We have an issue on our track with more than one XB4 (currently we race with approximately 6 XB4's). Out track is made from high grip astroturf and the most of us use 5.5T engines with 17 or 18T pinions. We set the slipper according the supplemental guidelines (quiet loose) but we keep having issues with stripping teeth from the bevel and differential gears. We noticed quite a play on the mesh between the two and started shimming them (we know that it is not advised, but we have to try something).

What do other experience, especially those who run on large astroturf tracks or carpet should experience almost the same problems.

Gerwin...

Post subject: Re: Bevel and differential gear problems
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 00:40:03 

My car and a fellow racer have also had problem with the small (365114 COMPOSITE BEVEL DRIVE GEAR) in the rear and both gears in the front of the car.

Gorden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 09:32:00 

Over at RCTech there are also complaints, at the local forum i use , there are also complaints. At our club one person already sold his XB4, and one other is for sale. It's not the costs and repair only, it takes the fun away because you have to be so careful. And instead of driving it, you are constantly listening if the gears don't break.

So please XRAY, do something with it, the car is (after the V2 upgrade) almost bulletproof and fun to drive (hard), but it can't be that i'll must change the gears every time a race it. I don't practice any more, because i want my car set-up for the next event (i have limited spare time) without having it repaired first. Check your stock levels and see what is selling the most... i think it's the bevel gear.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 22:07:32 

I had the same issue with mine on a full astro track. I did adjust the slipper to make it loser which has helped a bit but still having to swap both gears after two meetings as there is clear wear on the front bevel.

I also added a 1mm shim to improve mesh, not sure if this really helped but has again reduced the fail rate.

Xray any help on this would be well recieved. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 20:33:35 

I had some slippage of the gears at the end of a very long straight. I shimmed the front diff quite tightly and haven't had any issues since. I think this should solve these problems.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 17:55:13 

X-ray please help, I have stripped 4 front bevel gears in 2 race meetings and it's starting to get me down. These meetings, 1 was on carpet and 1 on cork flooring. Slipper set to manual level.

Please help

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 04:13:06 

I understand your frustration in striping the gears. The instruction settings are a guide. Note the instruction have no reference about what motor or surface the settings are for. You may need to go looser on the settings or to a softer motor. Why do you insist on using a 5.5t when drivers like Bayer and Savoya are using 6.5t/7.5t with success?

Personally I have not stripped a gear yet, but I am on to my third kit for the year. :o I have offered to replace this gear if the new owners do strip/break it. No one has been back to me for a replacement. All these drivers do race at my home track.

Their is a new slipper pad and spring in the XB4 '14 kit. Maybe this combo may help you reduce the breaking of the gears. Something has to give or break. If you go to all metal gears, the driveshaft may break. Fix that, then the wheel hexes may stripe out. Fix that, then you start breaking teeth off the spur gear. Then people start complaining the car is too heavy.

My team mate at our home track has done a few gears over the last few meets on our new track layout (4 week old) but had not done one in the first half of the year. The track had sugar applied to the surface since our club hosted the states titles last week, so the traction is ready high. We both lap at the same speed and use the same motor/esc combo. We are putting it down to driving technique. We have two new technical sections on the track. A table top that leads in to a triple jump, then into a 180deg turn. I think this is where it is happening for him. If you over shot the triple you find yourself jamming on the brakes to make the turn. If you are landing with your brakes on and the slipper tight, then something must give.

Here is a video of the track. The traction level is a little lower from the practice days fully sugared (2-3sec faster) because of the rain we had over night.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 20:24:23 

I have been running this kit all year and first time I have had a problem. By the way I'm running a 6.5 turn motor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 06:57:59 

How high is the traction on a cork floor track?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:51:53